If you’re a little late to the game, don’t worry, your girl has GOT YOU COVERED! If you don’t feel like stepping foot in a mall, or scouring the fashion magazines, then take a peek at my quick guide to Spring/Summer 2018 trends on a budget.
- Palazzo Pants If you want to have a 30 second dance party, or just eat dessert without popping a button, then palazzo pants are your saving grace. I am in love with this 70’s inspired trend. They are great to pair with slides, wedges, or even ankle booties in the cold weather.
Joelle from La Petite Noob styles her pink palazzo pants with a fur coat for this freezing Canadian Spring. Check out this Toronto gal’s amazing (and very very pink) Insta feed and blog!
I have styled my vertical stripe palazzo pants with a conversational printed blouse. This is an example of pattern on pattern done correctly. It isn’t going overboard and the colours and themes aren’t fighting each other. I’ve paired it with my white slides and thrifted basket bag for a very resort-wear vibe.
These pants (like my own) are from Forever 21. They have a ton of prints and styles to choose from, all being very budget friendly.
2. Gingham 2014 Sara is sooooo happy about the return of this trend. I have told my husband to ban me from buying any more gingham items. Gingham shoes, tops, dresses, pants, and bags are probably enough for one season. But seriously, this trend is too cute and can be worked into so many outfits.
Shop my cute and oh so comfy gingham culottes here: http://www.forever21.com/ca/Product/Product.aspx?br=F21&category=bottoms&productid=2000260060
3. Kerchiefs A cute accessory that started trending last summer has made a round trip into Spring 2018. Last year the bandannas and kerchiefs were more of a “Coachella” style, and this year they have taken a preppy turn. Jcrew has made it the nautical staple, paired with a striped top and your Sperries, you are ready to set sail!
Down below are links to a couple of my fave kerchiefs from Jcrew and Jcrew Factory to shop this trend.
4. Mules Probably the best thing that’s ever happened to loafers. A PERFECT spring to summer staple that everyone needs in their closet. Sure, you can break the bank and buy the coveted Gucci ones, or be like me and spend about $10 on a pair and get one in every colour. I have a couple of pairs for this season, an adorable glen plaid pair from Forever 21, and my classic white faux leather ones from Urban Planet.
As far as cost per wear goes;
SIDEBAR “what the heck is cost per wear?”
This tried and true formula is a fashionistas bff. Say you want to invest in a $200 pair of leather riding boots, and you estimate that you will get about 150 wears out of them in a year. $200 divided by 150 wears = $1.30 per wear. On the other hand, if you badly wanted that amazing Kate Spade bag that was $499 and figured that it would only be used about 20 times in a season, the cost per wear would be $24.95, which makes it not the greatest purchase.
Continuing on; as far as cost per wear goes, the $10 that I spent on my new white mules is already super low. I’ve already worn them about a dozen times, so these babies have paid for themselves! I highly recommend picking a pair up! I’ve linked the ones that I own below for you!
Kaylee From The Blondielocks styled her mules so well with her basket bag and cropped white slacks, making this a perfect spring OOTD.
Here is a link to her s t u n n i n g Instagram feed : https://www.instagram.com/theblondielocks/
5. Two Piece Sets I’m not talking about your favourite PJs. Whether you buy them for a vacation or brunch with your bffs, these resort wear style two piece sets are a hot item in every store. These will sell right into summertime and are a fantastic statement piece. However, they are very TRENDY. They are super fun to wear, but will only be in style for the season, and potentially next spring and summer. If you do want some inspo on how to wear these, check out Vera from Fashion Eats Travel! She wears this outfit like a bohemian goddess! Make sure you check out her content as well. https://www.instagram.com/fashioneatstravel/
I bought my two piece set from Aerie in summer 2016 as a cute little honeymoon outfit. It was sweltering in Chicago in August, and this cute little number did me well! I have since been able to mix and match the shorts with a bunch of tops, and wear the top to the beach.
Forever 21 has a ton of adorable sets for decent prices, linked is one of my faves!
Okay babes, you are all set with my top 5 SS18 trends! You can browse my linked items from the comfort of your own home, or brave the mall and maybe find a few other key pieces!